POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A random wondering of my own... : Re: A random wondering of my own... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:15:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A random wondering of my own...
From: Darren New
Date: 20 Jul 2010 17:41:25
Message: <4c461805$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> I am talking about both time and space. You know, that 4 dimensional thing.

I think the point that Warp is making (and I agree with) is that space and
time is only a four-dimensional thing in our current universe with our
current physical laws. If those laws didn't hold before the big bang,
there's no reason to believe there couldn't be space without time or time
without space or that the speed of light has anything to do with anything in
whatever universe was around before the big bang.

> below 0K and time before the Big Bang are both completely nonsensical
> and for exactly the same reason.

So you know about the physics of the universe before the big bang, enough to
know that there couldn't be time of any sort before the big bang? How about
light? How about gravity? Are those incompatible with "before the big bang"?

> Sigh, again: Big Bang theory says that the universe started with the big
> Bang, so time did. End of story.

The theory says *this* universe started with the big bang. But that doesn't
mean there was neither time nor space before the big bang, right?  Or has
science actually changed "we can't tell what happened before the big bang"
to "we have actual scientific evidence that there was no existence of
anything before the big bang"?

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    C# - a language whose greatest drawback