POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Feel the beat : Re: Feel the beat Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:19:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feel the beat
From: Invisible
Date: 20 Jul 2010 06:55:32
Message: <4c4580a4$1@news.povray.org>
>> I wasn't sure where the best place to measure from is. I know you can
>> feel your pulse from *somewhere* in your wrist, but I wasn't sure
>> exactly where.
>
>   How about just trying?

Well, sure, but it's easier with a picture to tell you roughly where to
look. Once I had that, it didn't take long to find. More to the point, I
wanted to see whether that's actually the best one to use, or whether
there's something better.

>> I especially like
>> the way the instructions said "but don't press too hard". Um, why? What
>> happens if you press too hard??)
>
>   If it's your wrist, nothing probably (unless you plan to crunch your wrist,
> that is). Don't be strangling yourself, though.

Yeah, the warning was about the one in your neck. It made it sound like
"if you use the one in your neck, don't press too hard or Bad Things
might happen..."

>>>   Why?
>
>> Same reason some people are freaked out by the sound of chalk squeeking
>> on a blackboard I guess...
>
>   Your heartbeats makes such a loud noise?

I meant that it's a similarly illogical reaction.

>> Sure. But I imagine the longer you measure for, the more accurate the
>> reading.
>
>   But your pulse may vary more during one minute than during 15 seconds,
> skewing the result.

Well, maybe. I compared it to the reported average rate rather than
instantaneous though.

>>>   Was this in full rest?
>
>> Well, I was sitting still not doing anything.
>
>   Can I assume you are not in very good shape?

Do both my job and my hobby involve sitting motionless for hours on end
while wiggling my fingertips? ;-)