POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : how to visualize what you want? : Re: how to visualize what you want? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:22:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: how to visualize what you want?
From: J R Houck
Date: 17 Jul 2010 17:30:42
Message: <4c422102$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/17/2010 10:57 AM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 03:45:37 -0400, rebeltaz wrote:
>
>> Since there aren't many, if any, GUI modeling programs for Linux
>
> Blender and wings3d are two that come immediately to mind.
>
> Jim

I use Wings3d quite a bit to set primitives around the scene and give
them descriptive names. After the .pov and .inc files are exported, I
can go back and hand edit the files and insert or modify the objects I
want. Wings will handle a lot of primitives as well as more complex
objects by default, converting them to mesh2 objects in an .inc file.
However, Wings3D won't to CSG operations or more complex objects like
quartics.

So, since Wings3d won't do a quartic object, I'll place a cylinder
somewhere in the scene and name it "quartic_1" or similar. Then I can
edit the exported files, find "quartic_1" and work in the code I wish to
have there.

It sounds a bit complicated, but actually, once you get your scene set
up, it goes fairly quickly. YMMV.

Cheers.