POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Things you can't Google : Re: Things you can't Google Server Time
4 Sep 2024 05:19:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Things you can't Google
From: somebody
Date: 17 Jul 2010 07:41:54
Message: <4c419702$1@news.povray.org>
news:4c40b4a7@news.povray.org...
> > Then there's college, often at a university. A "university" here is a
> > college with campuses in more than one city. So you have "University of
> > California San Diego" and "University of California in Berkeley", etc.
>
>   I have never really understood the difference between a college and a
> university in the US

Colleges don't typically offer graduate programs, and research may be
minimal / non-existant. The programs might be limited as well, say, strictly
art with no scientific/technical schools or strictly a technical institute
with no art/science schools. The term also may cover 2 year post secondary
institutions that may not offer a full/accredited degree.

Universities of course offer full undergraduate and graduate degree
programs.

That said, some colleges which eventually become universities may maintain
the term "college" in their title. And to further confuse matters, some
refer to universities as colleges (but almost never the other way around).