POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Things you can't Google : Re: Things you can't Google Server Time
3 Sep 2024 21:18:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Things you can't Google
From: Warp
Date: 16 Jul 2010 11:59:23
Message: <4c4081da@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> > In US schools, the books go home with students, and at university, the
> > student purchases/owns the books.

> Really? Heh, I never knew that. Any specific reason?

  At least University-level education is not part of the mandatory education
system and hence the government does not provide students with the studying
material, so they have to purchase it themselves.

  It's common, but not universal, that in countries where basic education
is mandatory, the government provides the students with the material they
need (rather than forcing them to buy it). There are (or at least were)
exceptions to this in some countries (which, when you think about it, makes
little sense: Basically the government is *forcing* parents to buy books
for their children by law, which doesn't seem to be fair).

--
                                                          - Warp