POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Developing POV-Ray graphics for a steampunk themed game : Re: Developing POV-Ray graphics for a steampunk themed game Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:19:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Developing POV-Ray graphics for a steampunk themed game
From: Paul Fuller
Date: 15 Jul 2010 20:26:58
Message: <4c3fa752$1@news.povray.org>
Hi Mike,

Seems like a good approach.  The alternatives (large team of talented
artists creating pre-drawn graphics or realtime rendering of detailed
models) are virtually out of reach for a starting indie.

I've dabbled with the same approach for a space game.  I like the
results so far.

Watch out for too much use of reflection, lighting and shadow.  The
elements can look fine on individual units.  The problem is when you put
them next to each other and the effects don't match or interact
properly.  Example the shandw on your crane truck unit.  If it falls
partly off the tile then you have an issue.

You get combinatorial explosion if you try to produce each unit in each
orientation with each combination of several effects at each scale etc.

In a way the higher quality of rendered images means you have to pay
close attention to the little stuff.

Good luck.