POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : asymmetric density maps : Re: asymmetric density maps Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:25:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: asymmetric density maps
From: Alain
Date: 15 Jul 2010 17:07:16
Message: <4c3f7884@news.povray.org>

> Hello,
>
> is there a way to create asymmetric density maps?
>
> As I understand it, you can have a spherical, cylindrical or boxed density
> distribution (as the "normal" ones) where the distribution is defined with
> respect to the center:
>
> for example
>    density{ cylindrical
>      turbulence 0
>      color_map {
>       [0 rgb 0.0]//border<===
>       [1 rgb 1.0]//center<===
>       }
>     }
>

> But how would I "move" the area of higher density to a spot next to the center
> of my object?
>

> Thanks for any ideas and hints.

A few possibilities:

  - Create your object around the origin, then, rotate and translate it
to the desired location. This should be the method of choice.
  - Rotate/translate the density to place it into your object as you like.

You can also stretch/compress the pattern using scale. To it BEFORE you
place it in it's final location as the transformation will cause the
pattern to move if it's not at the origin.
You can rotate the pattern as needed. Must also be done to the pattern
at the origin, otherwise it will orbit around the origin.

Remember: ALL scale and rotate are ALWAYS done relative to the origin
(point <0,0,0>).

You can also use about any user defined function or any of the other
predifined patterns.

Alain