POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : And just in case you had a big POV job to trace... : Re: And just in case you had a big POV job to trace... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:20:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: And just in case you had a big POV job to trace...
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 15 Jul 2010 13:38:21
Message: <4c3f478d$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/15/2010 10:32 AM, Invisible wrote:
>>> Presumably that's not x86 though.
>>
>> I didn't look into it that deeply. Why would you think it's not?
>
> I got the impression that x86 CPUs are designed to communicate with only
> a fixed number of peers.

http://www.cray.com/Products/XT/Specifications.aspx

Opterons ... x86 ;)

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=MB-H8DGUF&c=fr&pid=ea8e96795a53689a8306610b250b775faaf92905edde9d71f42a3e02a2c3931c

So, its a dual chip mobo ... unless you make it yourself like Cray ...
24 cores is probably enough.

> Given that the reviews talk about 1-chip, 2-chip, 4-chip and even
> 8-chip, I very much doubt anybody has bothered to design a 96-chip part.
> Who would they sell it to, after all? (And wouldn't it need 96 extra
> pins??)

Cray has, but then, it's a purpose-built machine.
--
~Mike