POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : And just in case you had a big POV job to trace... : Re: And just in case you had a big POV job to trace... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:17:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: And just in case you had a big POV job to trace...
From: Invisible
Date: 15 Jul 2010 11:32:12
Message: <4c3f29fc$1@news.povray.org>
>> Presumably that's not x86 though.
>
> I didn't look into it that deeply. Why would you think it's not?

I got the impression that x86 CPUs are designed to communicate with only
a fixed number of peers.

For example, a socket 939 Athlon can only be run in a single-chip
configuration. But a socket 940 Opteron has an extra pin which enables
it to run in single-chip or dual-chip configuration. (But not
triple-chip or more.) In later Opteron generations, part of the model
number tells you what the maximum number of chips you can wire together
is. I gather Intel Xeon chips use a similar system.

Given that the reviews talk about 1-chip, 2-chip, 4-chip and even
8-chip, I very much doubt anybody has bothered to design a 96-chip part.
Who would they sell it to, after all? (And wouldn't it need 96 extra pins??)