POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : And just in case you had a big POV job to trace... : Re: And just in case you had a big POV job to trace... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:19:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: And just in case you had a big POV job to trace...
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 15 Jul 2010 02:35:02
Message: <4c3eac16@news.povray.org>
Le 14/07/2010 17:51, Jim Henderson nous fit lire :
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 09:11:04 +0100, Invisible wrote:
>
>>> Sure, but the system may well have 128 GB of memory installed in it
>>> (for example), and only 23 GB allocated to that specific machine -
>>> that's my point.
>>
>> And my point is "where the **** do you get a system that can handle more
>> than 16GB of RAM from?!"
>
> GIYF. ;-)
>
> Hint:  It's not your typical off-the-shelf desktop PC.  We're talking
> very specialized hardware here.

Well, a 24GB system is expensive but main-street now.
(I built one in june): based on i7 implied triple channel memory, and
therefore most single i7-supporting motherboard are limited to 24GB.
Finding a set of 6 Ram-stick to fill the slots is rather easy too, as
memory-maker/seller make kit ready to install (and with warranty).

Motherboard: about 200€
Memory: about 800€
CPU: anywhere from 200 to 1000€
Box: from 50€ to 200€ (according to the cooling and other
easy-life-making: hand-screw, clip-on...)
and so on for the small details (mouse, keyboard, graphics card(s),
display...)

There you go, a system with more than 16GB.