POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Index of Refraction Question : Re: Index of Refraction Question Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:14:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Index of Refraction Question
From: Jim Holsenback
Date: 14 Jul 2010 18:48:03
Message: <4c3e3ea3$1@news.povray.org>
On 07/14/2010 03:46 PM, David Miller wrote:
> Thanks for the response. Sorry, my question was not exactly clear. I know that
> the ior has to be changed to see refraction. I just copied and pasted the code i
> had at that moment and the iors happened to be one. Let me try to rephrase is so
> it's obvious what i need.

Yikes ... code was pretty messy and didn't even pass the parse phase.
examine your camera look_at and location, also closing brace in wrong
place/missing (materials) one or two places.

> I want to put a cube (with index of refraction and transmit values to be
> determined later) inside an ellipsoid (also with ior and transmit values tbd
> later). The problem I'm running into is that once the cube is inside the
> ellipse, the two indexes of refraction don't behave how they should. For
> example, if the two are the same, the cube should be invisible. Is there someway
> to make this work or does pov-ray not like objects inside each other.

After a bit of cleanup, i think the culprit is the rgbt <0,0,0,0.8> that
you had on the box (crystal) ... I changed to rgbt 1, and did a render
with ior 1.33 on ellipse (liquid) and the box with the same ior ...
bingo can't see box, then changed to ior 1.55 for the box and looks ok
fine to me.

I also changed the geometry of the items as you were using VERY VERY
small values, also didn't understand the looks_like you had for the
light source ... is this supposed to be a microscopic view of a crystal
suspended in a drop of water on a slide?

Jim