POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My computer doesn't like heat, what to do? : Re: My computer doesn't like heat, what to do? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 05:20:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My computer doesn't like heat, what to do?
From: Warp
Date: 14 Jul 2010 11:43:56
Message: <4c3ddb3c@news.povray.org>
scott <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
> The fan/BIOS is probably designed to run "silently" at CPU-idle and only
> speed up once it gets loaded.  They are probably doing this by triggering at

> speed trigger temperatures?

  Actually someone else (IRL) suggested checking the BIOS settings for the
CPU fan, so I did so.

  There's some kind of setting which makes the CPU fan target for a certain
maximum CPU temperature. This setting was disabled, so I don't know what the
CPU fan was doing. I tried enabling this (and the default target maximum
temperature seems to be 66 degrees, so I left it like that), and now the
PC is incredibly silent, yet the CPU keeps quite cool when idle (2500 RPM,
47 degrees celsius) even though the room temperature is still unbearably
high (30 degrees celsius at the moment).

  I'm monitoring closely the CPU temperature and fan speed, but it seems to
be quite stable. And incredibly silent.

--
                                                          - Warp