POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My computer doesn't like heat, what to do? : Re: My computer doesn't like heat, what to do? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 05:17:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My computer doesn't like heat, what to do?
From: Invisible
Date: 14 Jul 2010 10:50:04
Message: <4c3dce9c$1@news.povray.org>
>> I'm still puzzled about this laptop though. Considering that fan control
>> is both trivially simple and utterly safety critical, why is it
>> controlled by the OS? Why isn't it hard-wired?
>
> Generally the OS isn't in charge of the fan. Perhaps the linux distro
> you're using detects the chipset and grabs control of the fan?

Why should it even be possible to control it in software? The correct
algorithm is simple: set the fan to the lowest setting that gives
acceptable cooling. Why would you want to be able to control it in
software at all?

(As it happens, once Linux was installed, the fan worked normally. Just
not while the installer was running...)