POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My computer doesn't like heat, what to do? : Re: My computer doesn't like heat, what to do? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 05:18:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My computer doesn't like heat, what to do?
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 14 Jul 2010 08:19:53
Message: <4c3dab69$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/14/2010 4:36 AM, scott wrote:

> Because that's what CPUs are designed to do. It was probably the RAM
> that was overheating giving corrupt data to the CPU.

Yep... There's usually a thermal sensor either on the die or on the
motherboard.

Some older AMD's I believe rely on the mobo's thermal shutdown. an AMD
chip can be damaged by heat before the mobo registers a problem. On the
Intel side, the chip will throttle down to a snails pace to try to
control the heat, if that doesn't work, it'll tell the mobo to shut off.

I'm not sure about the newer AMDs.

Another interesting thing that's fun to watch: On the later Intel Core2
chips, they have an adaptive multiplier. When the CPU is idle, it will
reduce its clock rate to save on energy and keep cooler when idle.

--
~Mike