POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : asymmetric density maps : Re: asymmetric density maps Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:13:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: asymmetric density maps
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 13 Jul 2010 18:03:50
Message: <4c3ce2c6@news.povray.org>
McMinty wrote:

> is there a way to create asymmetric density maps?

yes, how to do this depends on what you mean by asymmetric.

> As I understand it, you can have a spherical, cylindrical or boxed
> density distribution (as the "normal" ones) where the distribution is
> defined with respect to the center:

actually its defined with respect to the origin <0,0,0>,
not the to the center of any particular object. Note that
translating an object *after* applying the density to its
interior will also move the attached density.

> But how would I "move" the area of higher density to a spot next to
> the center of my object?

Either create the original geometry off-center (e.g.,
sphere {<a,b,c>,1>}) or translate the density itself
(e.g. density {cylindrical ... translate <a,b,c>}).

This way the density will still be symmetrical, just
not with respect to the center of your object.