POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random wonderings #13457681 : Re: Random wonderings #13457681 Server Time
4 Sep 2024 05:13:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random wonderings #13457681
From: Florian Pesth
Date: 13 Jul 2010 17:37:12
Message: <4c3cdc88@news.povray.org>
Am Mon, 12 Jul 2010 18:26:55 +0100 schrieb Orchid XP v8:

>>> Except that it's impossible to pronounce that.
>>
>> It is possible! In german we have words such as
>>
>> Knopf, Knall, knistern, Knüller
>
> Yeah, but I would imagine that the pronounciation rules for German are
> radically different to English anyway.

Well yes and no... the language borders are not so sharp as one might
think. Andrel might disagree on this, but I find the northern german
dialects closer to dutch than to the bavarian dialects of german for
example. And I found the "scottish english" closer to how a german would
pronounce english than the "english english" or whatever you call it ;).

> In Welsh there are words that contain no vowels at all. (Then again,
> have you ever heard those people "speak"?)

Unfortunately not that I remember... I'm trying to learn polish, which is
sometimes already a challenge for a german tongue :).

>> If you want, I could provide audio samples to prove that both k and n
>> are pronounced without vowel between them in this cases (although I
>> guess you could argue, that it froms a new consonant although I would
>> disagree)
>
> I believe I still have an MP3 file on my PC featuring your voice gently
> utterly "Lieblich Gedackt"...

Oh hey you remember :). I'm mostly lurking around here, so I'm slightly
surprised :).