POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My computer doesn't like heat, what to do? : Re: My computer doesn't like heat, what to do? Server Time
3 Sep 2024 23:28:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My computer doesn't like heat, what to do?
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 13 Jul 2010 12:51:56
Message: <4c3c99ac@news.povray.org>
On 7/13/2010 10:55 AM, Invisible wrote:

> I would imagine the fan bearings are worn out. That's usually the cause
> of excessive fan noice.

Not necessarily. If the fan just sounds like a jet engine, it's probably
just a small fan spinning relatively fast. You may be able to get a
quieter fan, or if your case has a spot for it, a larger fan.

> The good news (??!) is that if the fan does in fact stop spinning, the
> PC should turn itself off before your CPU fries.

Yup. Thank goodness for automatic thermal shutdown.

Heh. The other day my wife's computer (a notebook) shut down
automatically, and she couldn't get it to come on again. I picked it up,
and noticed two things immediately. The bottom was scorching hot, and a
receipt flitted away as I picked up the computer.

Yeah, a receipt blocked the fan's input port. What really worried me was
the fact that the computer had gotten so hot that even the pins on the
VGA connector were too hot to touch! Scary... no permanent damage that I
can determine was done to the computer.

--
~Mike