POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random wonderings #13457681 : Re: Random wonderings #13457681 Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:20:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random wonderings #13457681
From: Darren New
Date: 12 Jul 2010 12:13:11
Message: <4c3b3f17$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> As I say, I got the impression that this whole idea of words having a
> fixed spelling didn't exist until printing came along.

Benjamin Franklin (late 1700s) was big on making things spelled
consistently. We were taught in grade school that "Benjamin Franklin
invented spelling", but I'm not finding support for that online.

> Like, ask five
> different people and they'd spell the word five different ways. (And
> probably pronounce it differently too, come to think of it.)

And spell it several different ways in the same paragraph, for that matter.
I think Shakespeare tended to spell things pretty randomly, for example.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    C# - a language whose greatest drawback