POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random wonderings #13457681 : Re: Random wonderings #13457681 Server Time
4 Sep 2024 05:14:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random wonderings #13457681
From: Invisible
Date: 12 Jul 2010 08:01:03
Message: <4c3b03ff$1@news.povray.org>
>>> Where the heck do silent letters come from?
>>
>> They represent sounds that existed in the spoken language at some
>> point in the past, but which have since been lost.  I blame the French.
>
> or the Germans, or the Romans, or the... anybody else who's had an
> influence on the current version of English. For example "ghost" was
> originally spelt as "gost" but possinly under the influence of the Dutch
> their version "gheest" was used in a printing and it stuck.

Sure. But the Romans didn't have printing presses. And, as I say, back
then words didn't have a set spelling; that only came in after printing.
So that doesn't explain how a long-dead language can influence the
spelling of a modern one.

> All good fun.

I wonder how long it will be before the OED starts listing words like
"pr0n" as actual spellings.