POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : povray different shading models list : Re: povray different shading models list Server Time
5 Jul 2024 04:18:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray different shading models list
From: Alain
Date: 11 Jul 2010 15:24:49
Message: <4c3a1a81@news.povray.org>

> Yes I had noticed about the low diffuse value. about the high ambient, I have
> doubts since toon shaders still need to be able to get good dark shadows.
And I forgot about the outlines.
Here, is another place to use an aoi pattern.
aoi{[0 Your_Color][0.48 Your_Color][0.48 rgb 0]}
And a suggested finish:
finish{ambient 0 diffuse 1 brilliance 0}

> Thanks a lot for your help.
>
> For the Blinn, after some tests I chose to use just the specular keyword, So I
> had to leave the blender IOR feature out.
> For phong an Cooktorrence, the same phong and phong_size.
> For wardiso I used the specular keyword with an increased specularity when spec
> area is set tighter.
>

> About Oren Nayar:
> The values below 1 for brilliance give terminator problems (blocky limit between
> light and shadow) even if I forget about that, varying the brilliance doesn't
> seem enough to look as good as the oren nayar. which seems to process by
> lightening the edge when increasing its contrast sigma whereas brilliance rather
> seems to darken by extending the shadows towards parts more influenced by light.
> I still left things that way to be able to move on.
The blockyness probably comes from the fact that you are using a mesh.
The normal of some triangles can point toward the light while the raw
triangle is facing away from it. The light don't bend around to reatch
that area.