POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random wonderings #37648457 : Re: Random wonderings #37648457 Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:17:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random wonderings #37648457
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 8 Jul 2010 08:29:57
Message: <4c35c4c5$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/8/2010 7:20 AM, scott wrote:
>>> It's different in the UK, the mains pressure usually equates to about
>>> 10-50 metres plus of head. Any water from a tank in the roof is usually
>>> *way* lower pressure than mains. For example you can easily block off a
>>> fully open hot tap with your thumb with very little force, but it is
>>> tricky, if not impossible to do the same on a mains pressure cold tap.
>>
>> Is this everywhere, though?
>
> Pretty much, water companies are required to supply at a minimum of 1
> bar, which means upstairs you'd get a guaranteed ~0.7 bar. Unless you
> are able to put a tank 7 metres higher than upstairs it's not going to
> give any improvement over the worst mains pressure.

I figured in some rural areas this may not be the case, though. If, for
instance, the water were coming from a well...

... But by virtue of what you said the tank seems completely
unnecessary. I'm going to go out on a limb and say it was a vestige of
an earlier time back when the house was built. Probably to equalize the
pressure of cold and hot, as you said.

How do the on-demand hot water systems work, btw? It seems like here in
the States tanks are by far the norm. It seems like it would be a heck
of a lot more efficient to have the on-demand heating system, and a tad
less annoying... .I really, really despise it when the hot water runs out.
--
~Mike