POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Boundless talent : Re: Boundless talent Server Time
4 Sep 2024 05:20:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Boundless talent
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 8 Jul 2010 08:20:36
Message: <4c35c294@news.povray.org>
On 7/8/2010 3:07 AM, Invisible wrote:
> scott wrote:
>
>> So don't expect to do a 2 hour class for 52 weeks and become like them!
>
> Well, sure. But you would expect that spending time on something would
> result in *some* improvement...

Interesting discussion. It parallels something a friend at work was
saying to me the other day. He was talking about how its fascinating how
the mind works when learning. When learning a new skill, initially you
gain ability quickly, then suddenly just when you're thinking you're
getting it, you actually decrease in ability. After a while when things
become automatic and you're not consciously thinking about them, you'll
then begin to get better at that skill again. I've experienced this many
times. It's usually when I hit that valley that I feel like giving up
(and often do give up) I think this applies mostly to motor skills,
things like playing a sport, driving a car with a manual transmission,
playing a musical instrument, drawing ... etc.

--
~Mike