POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Crystal made of millions of atoms : Re: Crystal made of millions of atoms Server Time
5 Jul 2024 04:12:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crystal made of millions of atoms
From: clipka
Date: 8 Jul 2010 04:45:23
Message: <4c359023$1@news.povray.org>
Am 08.07.2010 08:27, schrieb Tomohiro:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to build an image of a crystal made of a lot of atoms
> and chemical bonds. I wrote a following source file, but it is very
> heavy and sometimes causes shortage of memory. Also, it is very slow.
> Please change the Lattice_Constant value in the source file from 0.5
> to 0.01 to check what happens.
> (Since my final goal is to build an animation, faster rendering is
> better.)

You might try using a blob object rather than individual spheres and
cylinders. With well-chosen parameters the visual difference will be
very low, and it will enable you to trim down memory consumption
significantly.

For best effect, #declare a blob with, say, 20x20x20 atoms, then place
as many copies of this blob as you need.

Alternatively, you can use a so-called "infinity box", which will allow
you to repeat the scene's contents /ad infinitum/; this way, you'll only
need to model a single "cell" of the lattice, so you'll need even less
memory than the blob approach. There's a sample scene for this approach
(scenes/advanced/infinitybox.pov).

I'm not sure which of these approaches gives better rendering speed though.