POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random wonderings #37648457 : Re: Random wonderings #37648457 Server Time
4 Sep 2024 05:15:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random wonderings #37648457
From: Invisible
Date: 8 Jul 2010 04:04:16
Message: <4c358680@news.povray.org>
> Huh? Every car I've had for decades has a soft "stop" half way where the
> door is quite stable.  You can then push it a bit harder and it locks
> all the way out.  Try it!

Doesn't seem to work with my Renault Megan III.

does work there.

>> Why are the downstairs taps connected to the mains, but the upstairs
>> ones connected to a tank?
>
> To stop you having mains pressure cold (~1-5 bar) next to tank pressure
> hot (~0.2 bar) in the bath.  Imagine what happens when you connect one
> of those old-fashioned shower adapters to the bath taps, turn hot and
> cold to full and then turn *off* the shower head.  Fortunately now we
> have taps with back-flow prevention valves and fancy mixer taps to avoid
> this problem. Many houses don't have a cold tank, and some won't have a
> hot tank either (the hot is heated on-demand by the boiler).

My house doesn't have and has never had a hot water tank. As you say,
water is heated on-demand. Which, come to think of it, means that only
the cold tap is fed from a tank. Given that there's no noticable
difference in water pressure between the two, that makes the need for a
tank even more dubious.