POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Boundless talent : Re: Boundless talent Server Time
4 Sep 2024 05:15:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Boundless talent
From: scott
Date: 8 Jul 2010 03:03:28
Message: <4c357840$1@news.povray.org>
>> Actually, no, that's not quite true. I learned why drawing is even hard
>> in the first place: because humans see things as 3D objects, not 2D
>> figures. And that means that when you try to copy something, you take
>> the 2D image, mentally convert it to 3D, and then try to convert back to
>> 2D by hand... which doesn't work at all. The solution is to directly
>> draw what the eye sees, not what the mind interprets.
>>
>> Of course, I still have *no frickin' clue* how to do that.
>
> I've spent the occasional time trying to learn to draw as well.  There's
> a difference between taking one class and spending *years* honing a
> skill.  Itzhak Perlman, for example, is a world-class violinist.  You
> don't seriously think he doesn't spend several hours a day practicing,
> but just gets up on stage and performs without any preparation at all,
> even with his decades of experience, do you?

I read somewhere (don't remember which book now) that you need 10000 hours
of experience in something to become an expert.  Apparently if you research
many "experts" (including famous sports people, business men, artists etc),
almost all have surpassed the magic 10K hour mark.

So don't expect to do a 2 hour class for 52 weeks and become like them!