POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The frustration that is MathML : The frustration that is MathML Server Time
3 Sep 2024 23:30:42 EDT (-0400)
  The frustration that is MathML
From: Invisible
Date: 6 Jul 2010 09:54:42
Message: <4c3335a2$1@news.povray.org>
OK, so I realise nobody else gives a damn, but it's frustrating the hell
out of me. All I want to do is convert a tiny, minute, small, simple,
little, trivial, diminutive, insignificant little formula into MathML. I
have just spent literally an hour trying to achieve this tiny task, and
so far have failed miserably. I can't find any web page anywhere on the
face of the Internet that will perform the trivial conversion required
for me.

Wolfram have a page that will turn a Mathematica expression into MathML.
But there isn't any way of writing the construct I want in Mathematica.

The first hit from Google is this:
http://www.orcca.on.ca/MathML/texmml/textomml.html
This is THE EXACT THING THAT I WANT. So imagine my utter rage that IT
DOESN'T ACTUALLY WORK! >_<

I also found this:
http://www.maths.nottingham.ac.uk/personal/drw/lm.html
This works, BUT... I still cannot ACTUALLY VIEW THE MARKUP. I can make a
web page, put some LaTeX markup in it, and load the page, and Firefox
displays it correctly. However, it WILL NOT show me what MathML has
actually been generated. It only shows me the source code it loaded from
disk, not what it was ultimately transformed into.

At this point, it seems that the only option I have left open to me is
to spend 4 days reading through the incomprehensible MathML spec
document. All so that I can convert a piffling 3 characters into MathML...

(I wouldn't mind, but I don't even know if using MathML will actually
fix the problem anyway!)