POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : background alpha and anti aliasing : Re: background alpha and anti aliasing Server Time
30 Jun 2024 17:13:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: background alpha and anti aliasing
From: clipka
Date: 5 Jul 2010 12:46:41
Message: <4c320c71$1@news.povray.org>
Am 05.07.2010 11:44, schrieb Mr:

> sorry to get to blender again in the discussion, I am prepared for someone to
> answer that it simply is buggy or wrong, but it behaves without any of its
> million count userbase complaining. It doesn't seem to premultiply the
> background as there is no trace of it when we use the show alpha button in the
> image window. I made a little screenshot with the process to render and see what
> I mean if you have a version of blender around:

The alpha premultiplication issue only shows very openly with
semi-transparent stuff.

A simple test whether some piece of software does it right or not should
be as follows:

(1) Render a scene with anti-aliasing and/or semi-transparent items and
some pitch black object behind it filling the whole view.

(2) Remove that pitch black thing and render again with transparency
output. View this image against a pitch black background.

If the images don't look 100% the same, /something/ is wrong. If in (2)
semi-transparent areas appear darker and anti-aliased edges seem to
"shrink" a little bit, chances are the software handles the PNG alpha
channel wrong.