POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Hi! Needin' some help with some stuff. : Re: Hi! Needin' some help with some stuff. Server Time
5 Jul 2024 04:01:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hi! Needin' some help with some stuff.
From: Slime
Date: 4 Jul 2010 19:55:14
Message: <4c311f62$1@news.povray.org>
> I thought that if you take any point inside the isosurface's
container, replace
 > the x, y and z values in the function for the values of the point,
and the
 > result of the operation is equal to the threshold, the isosurface
exists in that
 > point...
 > Is that correct?

Yes, but in practice, POV-Ray can only find the point where the function
is equal to zero by evaluating it at various points along a ray, and
investigating where the function crosses from positive to negative. If
POV-Ray finds that the function is equal to 1 at point A, and 2 at point
B, it assumes that the function does not cross 0 between point A and B.
You need to have negative values on the inside of the object, so that
POV-Ray finds 1 at A and -2 at B, and investigates further between A and
B to find the surface.

What are you trying to accomplish by using abs()?

You might find that if you use {abs(sqrt(x*x+z*z)-1) - .1}, thus forcing
the function to be negative near the surface of the original sphere,
that you'll get a hollow sphere with a thickness of .2.

  - Slime