POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Am I going to die? : Re: Am I going to die? Server Time
3 Sep 2024 23:24:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Am I going to die?
From: somebody
Date: 30 Jun 2010 23:13:39
Message: <4c2c07e3$1@news.povray.org>
"andrel" <byt### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message
news:4C2### [at] gmailcom...
> On 30-6-2010 22:56, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> > http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Am+I+going+to+die%3F

> > It used to give an error. Thanks to my feedback, it now works correctly.

> According to WA itself:
>
> how many people have ever lived?
>
> 106.5 billion people
[...]
> In conclusion: more than 5% of all people have never died hence there is
> no statistical evidence that supports this conclusion.

Even if you are the last person alive, there would be no statistical
evidence to suggest you might die, for you can safely say "nobody that was I
has ever died".

Then again, there's no reason to assume we are born at a particularly
special location on the human timeline. If we are preceded by 100B humans,
we can expect another 100B or so will come after us before the end of
humanity. With a world population of 10B and life expectancy of 100 yrs, we
should not be too surprised(*) if humans go extinct in as near as 1000
years.

(*) Dead, sure, but not surprised.