POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Crash Dumps : Re: Crash Dumps Server Time
2 Jul 2024 10:59:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crash Dumps
From: Alain
Date: 29 Jun 2010 21:55:46
Message: <4c2aa422$1@news.povray.org>

> I would like to bring this up again as I have been modeling again these days and
> crash frequency has been ridiculous. I encountered 14 crashes within a period of
> ~2h (spread over two sessions). Two of these crashes were
> "hard", meaning POV-Ray did not close nicely but instead quit responding. All of
> my work was with emission media, if that means anything.
>
> I did note the one thing in common with all these crashes - they all happened at
> 0x00000001400b5c80. Does that mean there is a problem with my RAM? My computer
> runs stable otherwise.
>
> Unrelated: Can I tell the newsgroup server to email me when someone responds to
> my thread?

That's an address that uses 33 bits. It's possible that most of the time
that memory area is not used, or not much and never for importent
things, like executable code, but only for data.

If the error always appens at the same address, it can mean that there
is a problem with the RAM.
Try loading something, like note pad, and do a test. See if the error
still appens at the same location.

There are some RAM testers available. Normaly, they need to be run from
some removable, bootable, media.
Get one and let it run for a few hours, or beter, overnight.

Alain