POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : That's pretty cool... : Re: That's pretty cool... Server Time
3 Sep 2024 23:30:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: That's pretty cool...
From: Invisible
Date: 28 Jun 2010 03:57:03
Message: <4c2855cf$1@news.povray.org>
>> For what it's worth, people do crazy stuff similar to this with Haskell.
>
> Yeah, that's kind of why functional languages were invented - to do
> crazy analysis stuff with. :-)

I understand that the invention of functional programming languages
predates the invention of computers...

Out of the box, GHC can tell you whether you have incomplete or
overlapping pattern matches. You can do stuff with type-level
programming to statically guarantee that array index bounds are never
exceeded. And null pointers can't occur in the first place. And yet,
when a *popular* program does one tenth of this, everybody thinks it's
really cool, but Haskell does this every single day and nobody is even
slightly interested. :-(