POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Any scenes of the solar system handy? : Re: Any scenes of the solar system handy? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:19:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Any scenes of the solar system handy?
From: Alain
Date: 27 Jun 2010 13:36:41
Message: <4c278c29$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2010-06-22 19:16, SharkD a écrit :
> On 6/20/2010 12:19 AM, Reactor wrote:
>> Do you mean a Jovian stationary orbit?
>
> Yes. And I'd like the sun and planet positions/sizes/orientations to be
> proportionately correct with respect to each other. (They don't need to
> be at the same scale as the station though. I'm willing to fudge that
> bit to keep POV-Ray from choking on the huge scale differences.)

 From the location of Jupiter, all other planets are only seen as the
stars. The inner planets, Mercury, Venus, Earth and Mars, as very faint,
maybe not visible stars. Mercury will definitely NOT be visible at all.
Saturn is the brightest "star" in the sky.
The Sun is about 8 times smaler than seen from the Earth and 64 times
fainter. Jupiter been about 8 times farther from the Sun than the Earth.
Uranus and Neptune are visible as just somewhat faint stars.

ONLY Jupiter is seen as more than a point of light, and from your low
orbit, will cover a prety large area of the sky. It's luminosity should
tend to drown out almost everything else. Most stars and planets won't
be visible at all!

So, you can effectively skip over all other planets and all stars exept,
maybe, the 100 brightest ones, keeping only: The Sun, Jupiter and it's
bibest moons.

Alain