POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Struggling with gamma... : Re: Struggling with gamma... Server Time
30 Jun 2024 13:28:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Struggling with gamma...
From: clipka
Date: 26 Jun 2010 06:33:53
Message: <4c25d791$1@news.povray.org>
Am 26.06.2010 11:59, schrieb Gyscos:
> If I understood correctly, the 'over-bright impression' is actually the correct
> way images should be, right ?

Um... yes and no.

Yes: That's the right math.

No: If your scene looks overly bright, your parameters are wrong.

> But then, the default ambient light is waaaay to high, isn't it ?

If you're talking about the default global { ambient_light 1.0 }: No,
that has nothing to do with gamma.

If you're talking about the default finish { ambient 0.1 }, and/or the
ambient values in all those standard material .inc files coming with
POV-Ray, then no, no and maybe.

No: Ambient light is pretty dependent on the actual scene, and actually
the only way to /really/ do it right is using radiosity instead.

No: The effect of ambient light also depends on the object's pigment,
which is waaaay too high in the default colors as well, as they were
designed at times when gamma wasn't done right.

Maybe: The ambient light defaults, too, were chosen at a time when gamma
wasn't done right, so they should be subject to re-evaluation.