POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Improving media performance : Re: Improving media performance Server Time
29 Jun 2024 02:24:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Improving media performance
From: clipka
Date: 25 Jun 2010 21:41:57
Message: <4c255ae5$1@news.povray.org>
Am 25.06.2010 22:24, schrieb SharkD:

>> At this size, wouldn't it be more realistic to have a roughly constant
>> atmospheric density?
>
> I'm not sure. I forgot to say in my last post that 1 unit = 1 meter.
> Would the fact that "gravity" is zero at the center make a difference?
>
> For that matter, how would a gas behave in a cylinder that is spinning?
> I would think that it would tend to remain completely at rest except
> where it comes into contact with the surface objects. Maybe over time
> sustained contact would cause it to build momentum and turn as a
> whole... I dunno.

I guess the air dynamics will probably be... quite dynamic ;-).

Presuming that the spinning motion will in general create a slight
pressure gradient, you'll get heat convection with air flows between the
center and the rim. Those currents will be subject to coriolis forces
and the like, giving the air at higher "altitudes" even a /higher/
angular speed than near the ground. So with all this "up" and "down",
and "horizontal" speed differences, you're in for a lot of eddies I
guess. Which in turn will contribute to somewhat stabilizing angular
speed throughout the whole atmosphere.