POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : ReactOS : Re: ReactOS Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:17:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ReactOS
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 25 Jun 2010 16:14:06
Message: <4c250e0e$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/24/2010 12:57 PM, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>>> I was under the impression that things like (for example) the API for
>>> DirectX is patented.
>
>> Actually.. No. An API is an "interface". The underlying way that it
>> goes from, "I gave it this data", to, "It gave me this result", is
>> what is patented, not the API itself.
>
> Really? Interesting. What underlies the API calls is obviously subject
> to _copyright_ protection, but I didn't think you could _patent_
> executable code. However, I thought that you *can* patent an API.
>
>> Otherwise emulating **anything**, including the BIOS, which you need
>> to do things like DOSBox, would be illegal too.
>
> Only illegal if the BIOS interface is patented. (AFAIK, it isn't.) The
> actual BIOS code in any given motherboard has copyright protection
> [usually], but then it only works with one given motherboard anyway...

Well, if I am wrong about that, and I may be. It still doesn't make
sense. Part of the patent law **explicitely* allows "interoperability".
You can't have it both ways and a) prevent someone duplicating the API,
and also b) allow people to design something that can inter-operate with
the software/hardware that uses the API.

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();