POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : ReactOS : Re: ReactOS Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:17:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ReactOS
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 25 Jun 2010 16:05:43
Message: <4c250c17$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/25/2010 1:01 AM, scott wrote:
>>> If it's a clear cut software-only or algorithm-only with no physical
>>> application it will be rejected, in fact you'd be dumb to waste the
>>> money trying to apply for a patent, no legal firm would advise you to
>>> do this.
>>>
>>> *But*, if it applies to some physical object that can actually be
>>> made, then the algorithm/program *can* be patented. For example a
>>> novel image processing algorithm for improving display quality on a
>>> display is fine, or a control program for a crane, that sort of thing.
>>>
>>> As you can imagine though, there is a huge grey area in the middle,
>>> so probably some things get through that wouldn't be enforceable in
>>> court.
>>
>> Right. So as long as M$ describes the DirectX API as "a system for
>> allowing cool programs to run on our OS and nobody else's", they can
>> patent it.
>
> Not in the EU they can't, because it does not apply to some physical
> object that can only be made utilising this patent. At a stretch they
> might be able to get away with some GUI concept applied to a mobile
> device they were manufacturing, but it's going to have to be quite a
> high level concept (eg a novel way to select images from a database
> using a touch screen) rather than an API.
>
>> And then sue ReactOS for implementing it.
>
> There is no way to successfully sue anyone in the EU for patent
> infringement if you're not dealing with anything physical.

That would be "yet". Sadly, the US companies keep pushing for adoption
of our stupid ideas on the subject. They figure, "Why rule the US and
bankrupt/undermine anyone with new (or just improved) ideas, when you
can rule the world, and do the same to everyone else."

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();