POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : INI questions : Re: INI questions Server Time
28 Sep 2024 18:55:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: INI questions
From: clipka
Date: 25 Jun 2010 09:42:12
Message: <4c24b234$1@news.povray.org>
Am 25.06.2010 14:57, schrieb SharkD:
>> With +C you resume the render at the place where you last stopped the
>> render

> I was hoping for a method to restart an arbitrary failed render,
> regardless of its age or whether the files have moved to other locations
> or renamed in the meantime.

Strictly speaking, there is no way to /continue/ a /failed/ render:
Whatever the reason was for failure, another attempt is pretty likely to
fail for the very same reason.

+C only gives you a way to continue /aborted/ renders, i.e. where you
said, "screw it, I don't have the patience for this today".

The mechanism is that when you abort a render preliminarily, POV-Ray (A)
writes the output file as far as it got, and (B) dumps some internal
state variables to a file, the name of which will be derived from (IIRC)
the main scene file name (might be the output file name though, I'd have
to look that up).

What you still need to make sure yourself when picking up the render
again, is that (A) you use the same command line and INI file parameters
(except for the +C and possibly radiosity and photons load/save
options), and (B) the scene file parses the same as before.

If you're using the Start/End_Row options, essentially the same
limitations will apply, or you'll risk a visible transition between the
"old" and "new" portions of the resulting image. And you'll have more
work to do.