POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : ReactOS : Re: ReactOS Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:22:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ReactOS
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 24 Jun 2010 15:57:24
Message: <4c23b8a4$1@news.povray.org>
>> I was under the impression that things like (for example) the API for
>> DirectX is patented.

> Actually.. No. An API is an "interface". The underlying way that it goes
> from, "I gave it this data", to, "It gave me this result", is what is
> patented, not the API itself.

Really? Interesting. What underlies the API calls is obviously subject
to _copyright_ protection, but I didn't think you could _patent_
executable code. However, I thought that you *can* patent an API.

> Otherwise emulating **anything**,
> including the BIOS, which you need to do things like DOSBox, would be
> illegal too.

Only illegal if the BIOS interface is patented. (AFAIK, it isn't.) The
actual BIOS code in any given motherboard has copyright protection
[usually], but then it only works with one given motherboard anyway...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/