POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Any scenes of the solar system handy? : Re: Any scenes of the solar system handy? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:25:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Any scenes of the solar system handy?
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 24 Jun 2010 03:59:30
Message: <4c231062$1@news.povray.org>
"SharkD" <pos### [at] gmailcom> schreef in bericht

> How about code for the orbital characteristics? It's been a while since I
> tried (and never entirely succeeded) doing the calculations myself.

I have never done that really seriously. I remember having done only one
scene with planets in 2006 (an unfinished project, as most are) with a view
of Neptune from Triton. This time as an illustration of a scene from Samuel
Delany's Nova.

The only thing I did was to scale down the orbital parameters, along with
the size of, and distance to, the planet and satellites, to make the scene
manageable and still keep the apparent dimensions. For a few satellites I
had to scale them a bit up after that, to make them visible from Triton.
Images must be somewhere in p.b.i. for that year.

Thomas