POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Win7 woes... : Re: Win7 woes... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 01:19:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Win7 woes...
From: Darren New
Date: 24 Jun 2010 00:33:43
Message: <4c22e027$1@news.povray.org>
SharkD wrote:
> I will try and take a screenshot after a fresh reboot. I don't
> understand the values enough to interpret them myself.

Well, it should be pretty straightforward. There's either something eating
up a lot of CPU, or something eating up a lot of disk. If neither the CPU
nor disk is busy and your machine is still slow enough to watch it repaint,
then there's something you probably need more expertise to analyze. Probably
looking in the event logs would be one step. (Altho I heard something about
Win7 doing away with those or something absurd like that.)

If the disk is busy, sort it by read bytes per minute then write bytes per
minute and see if you can tell what file is busy or what process is doing
the disk thrashing.

If it's the CPU, sort the list by CPU utilization and see if you recognise
the name of the process.

If you don't recognise what's going on, post the names of the files and/or
processes and I'll see if I can guess for you.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    Eiffel - The language that lets you specify exactly