POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Win7 woes... : Re: Win7 woes... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 01:18:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Win7 woes...
From: SharkD
Date: 23 Jun 2010 23:27:34
Message: <4c22d0a6$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/23/2010 5:35 PM, Darren New wrote:
> I find that usually windows seems sluggish when there is either heavy
> disk activity or something running at a normal priority and taking up a
> bunch of CPU time that you don't notice. (Moreso the former.)
>
> If you just installed Win7 within a day or two, you might be feeling the
> pain of it trying to index the entire hard drive for searching, or some
> such.

It's been a bit over two months. I've got all my favorite apps
installed. Most everything is set up like it was on XP.

> When you open the resource manager, do you see something running that
> takes up a lot of time?

I use a combination of Process Explorer and Process Lasso to control
process priorities. Running at idle the CPU usually stays under 5%
utilization. It will start sputtering when my antivirus wants to update.
Also, I messed up Thunderbird somehow so that now it always wants 15-20%
for no reason, so I don't leave it running anymore like it was. Will
have to try and reinstall that...

> I had some driver problems with Vista (the hard drive virtual raid bit
> interfering with the sound card or something weird) that had a system
> task repeatedly crashing and then starting up at full bore over and
> over. If you have a pre-install, it might be conflicting drivers or
> something.

> In any case, open up the resource manager (which you can get to from the
> task manager in Vista) and see what's making it slow - disk or CPU or
> memory swapping or what.

I will try and take a screenshot after a fresh reboot. I don't
understand the values enough to interpret them myself.

--
http://isometricland.com