POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Win7 woes... : Re: Win7 woes... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 01:20:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Win7 woes...
From: Darren New
Date: 23 Jun 2010 17:35:21
Message: <4c227e19$1@news.povray.org>
SharkD wrote:
> Maybe my PC is too weak (2.4GHz single core Celeron with 3GB RAM), but
> I'm starting to really regret switching from XP.

I find that usually windows seems sluggish when there is either heavy disk
activity or something running at a normal priority and taking up a bunch of
CPU time that you don't notice. (Moreso the former.)

If you just installed Win7 within a day or two, you might be feeling the
pain of it trying to index the entire hard drive for searching, or some such.

When you open the resource manager, do you see something running that takes
up a lot of time?

I had some driver problems with Vista (the hard drive virtual raid bit
interfering with the sound card or something weird) that had a system task
repeatedly crashing and then starting up at full bore over and over. If you
have a pre-install, it might be conflicting drivers or something.

In any case, open up the resource manager (which you can get to from the
task manager in Vista) and see what's making it slow - disk or CPU or memory
swapping or what.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    Eiffel - The language that lets you specify exactly