POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Stupid question time : Re: Stupid question time Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:17:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stupid question time
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 22 Jun 2010 13:54:23
Message: <4c20f8cf$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 18:22:10 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>>> Excel can *import* text files with all sorts of strange delimiters.
>>> However, it seems to be unable to *create* anything except CSV or
>>> tab-delimited; there's no option for pipe-delimited.
>>
>> Fortunately, that's pretty easy to work around with a scripting
>> language.  Export tab delimited and then use something like awk to
>> replcae the tabs with pipes = job done.
>
> Oh, sure, I'm not disputing that. I'm just wondering where the hell some
> random user who can barely operate Notepad has heard of pipe-delimited
> files from...

Probably a vendor that they interact with who said "we need/will provide
files in this format".

I interact with a company that delivers exams and a company that tracks
exam results and certifications; the typical user of the systems they
provide is non-technical, and they provide data in that type of format -
it's actually fairly widely used because "|" isn't often part of actual
data.

The perhaps surprising thing is that Excel and oocalc both don't have an
option built in for exporting files in that format, given that they are
so widely used.

Jim