POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Stupid question time : Re: Stupid question time Server Time
4 Sep 2024 01:18:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stupid question time
From: Invisible
Date: 21 Jun 2010 06:41:09
Message: <4c1f41c5$1@news.povray.org>
> Have to agree with Darren, I've heard stupider.

Oh, sure, I've heard _worse_.

These aren't stupid on the scale of Verizon Math Fail, but stupid on the
scale of "for goodness sake, go away and stop pestering me!"

>> Yesterday almost nobody spoke to me.
>
>> Since thing the day before.
>
> Have I missed something?

No, but I apparently missed a couple of keys on my keyboard.

(That should of course be "same thing the day before".)

>> But today, everybody seems to want to ask silly questions.
>>
>> My mum called me to ask whether to leave the birthday card I haven't
>> signed yet at home so that I can sign it. (Duh.)
>
> Or should she fake your signature so as to get it in the post, or shall
> she bring it down to you, or should she give it to X to pass on to you.
> Context is king.

Well, since I'll be home in an hour or so and I'm coming to where the
card needs to be taken... it's fairly self-evident that leaving the card
there is the thing to do. (The alternative I suppose is to take the card
over there blank and I'll sign it when I get there - but this seems less
optimal.)

>> My grandad phoned to ask where my mum is, but I was driving, and by
>> the time I'd stopped driving and had a chance to call him back, he'd
>> found her anyway.
>
> Hardly stupid unless you were out of the country to which the answer
> would be "How the hell should I know?"

Well, you know, I almost *never* know where the hell my mother is. Why
ask me? Phone her! (In retrospect, maybe they did. She never ****ing
answers anyway...)

>> One of our project managers asked me what the difference between
>> "tab-deliminted text file" and "pipe-delimited text file" is.
>
> Again if you know what delimited means you can guess, but if you don't
> "what's a pipe?"

I'm still trying to figure out why the hell she wanted to know, but
anyway...

>> But so far, at just after 2PM, the current winner is this:
>>
>>    "How can I convert milivolts to microsiemens?"
>
> Well, we all have off days.

This was the least-stupid question of them all, IMHO.

(It turns out we have a machine that takes measurements in microseimens,
but some software we use needs a value in milivolts. And while they are
completely different dimensions, if you knew the properties of the
machine, it's conceivable that a constant conversion factor actually
exists...)