POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I unofficially declare sci-fi movie genre officially dead : Re: I unofficially declare sci-fi movie genre officially dead Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:16:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I unofficially declare sci-fi movie genre officially dead
From: somebody
Date: 19 Jun 2010 12:53:30
Message: <4c1cf60a$1@news.povray.org>
"Neeum Zawan" <fee### [at] festercom> wrote in message
news:87h### [at] festercom...

> > No, I don't have to. But isn't it better to back one's viewpoint?

> Since when was constructing a whole theory needed to back one's
> viewpoint? There's a difference between saying "I prefer movies that
> have X (because ...), and dislike movies that have Y, because they don't
> satisfy X", than saying "All movies should conform to X, because ...,
> and movies that don't do so are fundamentally weak."
>
> The former is an opinion, and acknowledges that there may be valid
> reasons to like Y, even if you don't. The latter assumes absoluteness in
> the issue, and is an argument borne from insecurity.

Surely, you meant to say: "I think the former is an opinion, and in my
opinion,
acknowledges that there may be valid reasons to like Y, even if you don't.
I dislike the latter because it assumes absoluteness in the issue, and is an
argument borne from insecurity."

I don't need to pepper my prose with "I like"s and "I dislike"s and "I
prefer"s
and "I think"s to feel secure. But if that's what you like and prefer, feel
free to
do so.