POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I unofficially declare sci-fi movie genre officially dead : Re: I unofficially declare sci-fi movie genre officially dead Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:18:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I unofficially declare sci-fi movie genre officially dead
From: Darren New
Date: 17 Jun 2010 01:24:41
Message: <4c19b199$1@news.povray.org>
Neeum Zawan wrote:
> I'm often not too happy at a lot of things labeled SF. But I have to be
> honest with myself and say that I like a number of stories that are
> considered SF, that I consider to have an SF "feel" about them, but yet
> have little to do with science (you know, lots of space stories,
> including a lot of Asimov's stuff).

Sure, me too. I also enjoy a lot of stories about magic.  Or about
technology that might as well be magic.  Or about stuff that isn't magic or
technology but might as well be either. (Like "Hopscotch" (apparently not
the popular one tho) wherein most everyone in the world in their teens
learns to voluntarily swap bodies with whomever they touch.)

I'd just like to know what I'm buying.

> Although I'm not sure why you'd object to 1984 as SF. It wasn't the
> point of the book, but science/technology played a key role.

As you say, it wasn't the point of the book.

Contrast with, say, some of Niven's stories about Beowulf Schaeffer or some
such.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    Eiffel - The language that lets you specify exactly