POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Latest Logicsim build ... : LogicWorks Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:19:08 EDT (-0400)
  LogicWorks
From: Invisible
Date: 16 Jun 2010 06:38:05
Message: <4c18a98d@news.povray.org>
>> I am interested in seeing what your Haskell implementation will be like.
>
> Coding stuff in Haskell encourages you to try to make everything
> "perfect", which is possibly why I'm still designing and redesigning the
> thing rather than making it actually do stuff...
>
> Of course, making everything "perfect" like this requires quite a lot of
> think-time. Haskell strongly encourages this style of "think twice, code
> once". Anyway, I believe I'm closing in on a solution, but I'll believe
> it when the code actually runs properly!

Yeah, the internal layout management code appears to be operating
correctly now. In the end, I applied a tried and tested analysis
technique: a relational-style ERD.

The problem was that I'd design a data structure, start coding away, and
then discover some query direction that wasn't easy to support. So then
I'd change the data structure, which makes half the code break, so I
have to go rewrite that... In the end, the solution was to sit down and
draw out a propper plan. Once you comprehend the exact structure of the
information you want to store and the directions in which you want to
access it, you can come up with a nice *simple* data structure which
does what you actually need.

It works a lot better now - although I'm still finding minor bugs here
and there...

Who knows? I might even get the simulation algorithm running today.