POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Latest Logicsim build ... : Re: Latest Logicsim build ... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:18:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Latest Logicsim build ...
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 15 Jun 2010 17:02:43
Message: <4c17ea73$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/15/2010 3:41 PM, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>>> Pah. Mutable state is evil! ;-)
>>
>> You have to change the state of the objects somehow....
>
> Do not try to change the state of the objects. Instead only try to
> realise the truth: there is no state. Then you will see that it is not
> the *state* that changes, it is only *yourself*. ;-)

Welcome to the Matrix, Neo.

> Oh hell, I haven't even got that far. When the inputs to a gate change,
> and its output changes, it has to notify everything connected to its
> output. But to do that, you have to be able to somehow look up what it's
> connected to... and be able to change it later... and check that you
> don't have outputs connected to other outputs... and...

Yup, been there .. still there .. still not exactly what I want. Mine is
a bit more weird than that. I start somewhere, and begin fanning out
looking at various pin states, If I see more than one output, I flag
it... and so on. It's a sucktacular process and has many, many failings.
Plus, it doesn't lend itself very well to being able to follow signals,
being able to step from gate to gate, being able to follow a particular
signal path into a subcircuit...

>>> (See my post about "highly redundant data structures.)
>>
>> I'll have a look at this...
>
> There's really nothing to see. I just meant that that's what my comment
> is about. ;-) Because I want to look up information five different ways,
> it's in five different indexes, all of which need to agree with each
> other...

That's ok.. I couldn't find the post anyway.

>>> You, by comparison, have got something that *runs*. I'm still faffing
>>> around with design choices.
>>
>> You're coding it in Haskell, aren't you?
>
> You trying to imply there's a causality relationship there? :-P

Oh, no ... But I did have to get a Haskell dig in somewhere ;)

I am interested in seeing what your Haskell implementation will be like.

(In a way, this reminds me a bit of a small friendly "competition"
between a friend of mine and I back when I was a kid. We both wrote
different implementations of the same game....)

--
~Mike