POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The computer project : Re: The computer project Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:19:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The computer project
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 15 Jun 2010 16:14:17
Message: <4c17df19$1@news.povray.org>
>> ...still not sure exactly why it's so expensive though. Probably design
>> time / production volume.
>>

> Well, I'm sure the powerful electromagnet and the detector add to the
> expense. Not to mention the serious design time to design a very high
> gain, low noise amplifier.

I'm no expert, but I don't think a mass spectrometer actually requires a
particularly powerful magnet. (It's only throwing microscopic particles
around, after all.) The photomultiplier might be expensive; I don't know
how it works. The ADC is probably quite expensive as chips go (although
not hundreds of thousands of pounds, I wouldn't have thought).

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/