POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Latest Logicsim build ... : Re: Latest Logicsim build ... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 01:18:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Latest Logicsim build ...
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 15 Jun 2010 16:02:48
Message: <4c17dc68$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/15/2010 1:53 PM, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> Adding a tristate buffer works, but not a tristate inverter. Also,
> neither the clock source nor the splitter work, but I guess that's
> intensional.

Yep. Those aren't there yet.

> For the first time, I tried actually wiring together a simple circuit.
> Wiring seems to be quite buggy. Sometimes you join wires together and
> they don't actually join. Sometimes they look like they aren't joined,
> but when you connect the other end of the wire to something, suddenly it
> works. And sometimes it's difficult to figure out just what on Earth is
> going on. (Especially since you can't, say, delete the wires you've
> already made. *g*)

The problem, I think (aside from not being able to delete things...) is
kind of two-fold... Connecting the pins while on the surface seemed very
simple, some cases quickly become a royal PITA.... There are some
modifier keys in wiring that will cause some of the connection stuff to
behave differently, generally if it has an orange indicator, it should
be connected when you release the mouse button. The other half of it is
that it appears to have not connected because it doesn't always take the
characteristics of what you just connected it to until the other end is
connected to something else. This has more to do with the sim core, though.

There's also a major annoyance with-- for example-- altering the layout
of a circuit. You pull a wire from one location, leaving 2 wires
connected straight together, you then draw a new wire across that
junction (which happens to be invisible...) and it joins everything at
that intersection. One of the things I need to do is when reconciling
the wires, ensure any wires that are joined at the same angle get
consolidated into a single wire. After drawing wires for a few minutes I
was able to slice and dice a single wire into a dozen pieces. Nasty.

> Still, I've spent several days now just trying to build the internal API
> to manage something like this, and I'm getting nowhere, rapidly...

That happens with lots of things ;)

--
~Mike